Next Sew-In: February 12th, 12 - 4pm at Maker Works.
What to bring for the next meeting: If you want to participate in a charm-square swap, bring 12 charm squares (5") all of the same fabric to the next meeting. Also - think of a theme idea for a future guild challenge. It could be something abstract ("Rain!") or more direct ("Squares!"). We will select a theme at the next meeting and discuss this challenge further.
- Discussed the January Retreat and are planning another weekend trip in the end of June.
- Evaluated the progress of our Jay McCarroll Habit Charity Quilt - will be basted at the next sew-in and quilted by Natalie.
- Discussed road trips to future quilt shows throughout 2012.
- Discussed two quilt challenges that have fast-approaching deadlines:
- The Modern Quilt Guild Showcase for the International Quilt Festival(s) is accepting submissions until March 2. You can submit two quilts. More information HERE
- There is a Tangerine Tango Quilt Challenge happening on flickr, also with the deadline of March 2. You can enter 1 mini-quilt (pillow, runner, etc...) and 1 larger quilt. More information HERE.
- Discussed pressing: do you press toward the darkest fabric or do you press your seams open? Why? Debbie often chooses to press towards the darkest fabric, but advises you to make the best decision based on the quilt pattern - sometimes you have to press the seams open when the intersections of blocks prevent nested seams.
- Discussed the best batting options for blankets that will be hand-quilted: Kathy recommends Quilter's Dream Cotton Select or Wool.