Monday, June 12, 2017

May 31, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Thank you Amy S for your great note-taking!

Old Business:

Sew ins were discussed. We have had a drop off in attendance, the membership just seems busy, no one suggested changes of format.
Next two sew ins are June 3, and July 16.

The class with Kathy Schmidt was discussed, and attendees were pleased with what they learned.

Summer retreat is at 12 people, and most have turned in forms. There are a few spots left. Talk to Amy S if you are interested (stevenson.amyk@gmail.com)

The quilt that was going to Food Gatherers for their summer auction has been dropped off.

New Business:

Programs: Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts is doing a class and a joint trunk show in late October for our guild and for DAMQG. The trunk show will be at Schoolcraft college in Livonia. The class location is TBD,but the date is Sunday, October 29. More info will be sent out by Maggie soon.

The AQS show in Grand Rapids will be August 16-19, the guild is thinking of organizing a few caravans/carpools to it on the Saturday, with a side jaunt to Fields Fabrics. An email will be sent to find participants.

Skill share - some discussion of English Paper Piecing, followed by some discussion of paper choice for Foundation Paper Piecing. Vellum is favored by some.

The DAMQG is hosting Heather Givans for a workshop and trunk show. The workshop is $80 for non-members, and on June 17th. The trunk show is the day before. You can register through their site: https://thedetroitmodernquiltguild.com/

The Modern Quilt Guild, stay or go, email has been sent out. Please vote!

MQG Charity Quilt for QuiltCon. Dorie agreed to organize/design it, provided a good number of people would sign up to make 1-2 blocks. Many hands were raised to say they would, so she will update us on that soon.

Charity blocks, a good number of 12.5" churn dashes were turned in, enough for 2 small quilts. They were split into 2 groups to be turned into tops.

For next month, bring in 12.5" (unfinished) Red, White, and Blue blocks, stars were suggested.

Inspiration: Karen brought in a beautiful mini quilt that she received in a swap.

Round Robin: We could use a few more participants. It would be a good way to work on a communal charity quilt! Put together some fabric in a bag, and put yourself in!

Challenge: Many cool curved pieces were shown.

Swaps: Next month is the mini mini swap! Make a finished quilt that finishes at 8" square or less. Amy S. started a hashtag on instagram: #a2mqgminiminiswap if you want to add your teaser pictures to it.

Once your quilt is complete, make sure you put your name on it as its creator, and wrap it, because we will use the yankee swap to swap them! If you can't be there, and still want to participate, you can send your package with a fellow member to act as your agent, or send it in via the blue bin at PCF. (But let Amy S or Emily know if its there (or both, to be on the safe side!))

It was Anna's last meeting before she heads back to Washington state, and we will miss her! Anyone wanting to make blocks for her memory quilt should hook up with her via the Facebook group for details.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

April 26, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Old Business:
  • Quilt Show went very well.  Debbie says all quilts are back with their owners.
  • Charity quilts:  a discussion was held on what we could do to encourage creation of more charity quilts.  The idea was brought up that we could insert a charity quilt into the Round Robin.  There seemed to be interest in this but would also be nice if we had more Round Robin participants.  The membership decided that it would be good to pick a block and suggest that members make one or more for the next meeting.  The group decided on a pastel CHURN DASH.  It should be a 12.5" block (12" finished), it can be wonky or traditional. If you create mini-churn dashes you should make enough to complete a 12.5" block.  Members can also make more than one of course and even a full top (either 3x4 blocks or twin size).
  • Sew-Ins: Saturday May 6, Saturday Jun 3, Sunday Jul 16
  • Retreat at Creative Passions: there are still a few openings, so far there is only one person interested in the Thursday night attendance so we probably won't offer that option.  Amy has sent out a waiver that the retreat needs filled out.  Please check your email and send that back in if you are attending.
New Business
  • MQG Town Hall: Amy D presented a report on the town hall which was held April 12.  She noted that they are looking for people interested in serving on a QuiltCon Jurying and Judging Task Force.  She also presented the block of the month (layered triangles with transparency).  
  • MQG Membership:  as noted a few months ago the Board is revisiting the decision whether to stay or opt out of MQG membership.  There will most likely be a poll sent out to the group and the Board is strongly encouraging people to take a side.  It was very hard for the board to make a decision when there was not a clear mandate from the membership.
Features
  • Library report
  • Skill School:  Kathy presented how to avoid wonky borders.  
  • Member share:  what inspired you?
  • Round Robin (need more participants!)
  • Swaps:  Several members participated in a swap for hot pads/potholders.   Next month's swap is a challenge:  Show us your curves!   The following month if you want to get a jump on it is "Mini-Mini" (this is a very small, 8" or smaller quilt and will be a yankee swap).

March 29, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Sorry for the late post members. Life got away from me.

Old Business
  • Quilt Show in Ypsi over on Saturday, April 1; Quilts should be picked up on Sunday, April 2.
  • Emily has sent the Charity "House" blocks to Canada 
  • Sew-Ins:  May 6, Jun 3, Jul 16
  • Free Motion Quilting class by Kathy Schmidt is April 30th. There are still openings (11 people so far have signed up). Cost: $35
  • Summer Retreat July 22nd: Cost per person is $140 and we can have 16 attendees.  Currently there are 10 signups
New Business
  • Maggie is coordinating with DAM to host Crazy Mom Quilts on October 27 and 29.  Unfortunately NEW is not available those days so the Board is looking into other venues.  A suggestion was made to look into using the Quilt Patch in Tecumseh.
  • Amy D attended the Leadership meeting at QuiltCon.  They did not speak about the derivative quilt post, did talk about fundraising efforts and they are looking for people who are interested in writing articles (they will pay for them).  Amy noted that the quilts in the show were very cool.
  • Ideas were discussed for potential future skill schools: spray basting, quilt labels, multiple ways to do something (e.g., different approaches for a technique); wavy borders (Kathy offered to present this next month).  Members are encouraged to contact Maggie if you have an idea or would like to present.
Features:
  • Library report
  • Round Robin
  • Show and Share
  • Skill School: Brenda Ratliff demo'd the Turbo 4-Patch Ruler by Creative Grids
  • Swap/Challenge:  This month was a challenge to make something using the Pantone color of the year (green). Kim Ulrich won the drawing.   Next month the swap will be a hot pad/potholder yankee swap.
  • Charity quilts: nothing new this month, but members are encouraged to use the donated fabric in the bin

Sunday, March 12, 2017

February 22, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Old Business
  • The Board met with Alissa Carlton (MQG Executive Director).  Here are notes from the meeting:
    • The purpose of the derivative post was directed towards being an instruction for quilters who were copying art works directly with their quilts for QuiltCon - not meant to be a statement on quilting inspiration, etc.
    • The post was a symptom of a larger issue of communication and not getting input from members before posting
    • In the past they have had committees (and will still have some) but are now looking to developing task forces
    • Any member can suggest an idea for a task force (on website)
    • And she said we could email her anytime with concerns.

      Our concerns:
      • Often when MQG asks for volunteers, they ask for too much experience or don't act like they really want or appreciate - need to be more inclusive
      • Same when suggestions are made, we've met some resistance 
      • Need to include smaller guilds when they put together focus groups - not just the large guilds [she said most guilds are actually our size in the 35-55 size range]
      • Concern that we would like better contact with regional guilds, concern that maybe our regional rep is not really in our region (geographically) [she clarified that the regions are not geographic necessarily - not midwest - but rather a way to make sure each of the regions has approximately the same number of members and representations]
      • Andrew (our regional rep) is holding round tables (last one was January)
      • Also putting out a quarterly newsletter
      • We suggested that MQG could facilitate a way for regions (close geographic proximity like Detroit, Toronto, Chicago) to post events and communicate
      • We stated being unhappy with statements made that it wouldn't matter if we withdrew because our money isn't where they get their funding [clarification was that she meant more that the money isn't what is important to them but the members are]
      • We asked what MQG could do for us as a guild since we don't really need 'new guild' help
        • she said to check out new resources page
        • there is a webinar on bringing in teachers
        • they are adding more documents on how to lead a guild
        • we could show all or part of webinars at guild meetings
        • block of the month
        • they have articles on all kinds of topics and will pay for new articles
        • they are planning this year on adding more documents on all kinds of things, she will consider looking into topics around more advanced guild needs (what happens after year 2)
        • she mentioned that we are unique in that we are the only guild that doesn't need the 501(c)3 status of National
  • Quilt Show
    • Postcards are available for members to take and place around town
    • Need volunteers to help setup on Thursday
    • Quilts to be dropped off at the Gallery on Sunday
    • Our charity quilts will be displayed
  • Sew-ins
    • Someone suggested it would be nice to have music.
    • Next sew-in is March 12
    • April sew-in will be a class (see new business)
  • Summer  Retreat - Creative Passions
    • Sign ups coming soon
    • Will be in July
    • $150 which will include continental breakfast
New Business
  • Free Motion Quilting class by Kathy Schmidt - to be held on April 30th at NEW.  Cost: $35
  •  Maggie would like ideas for skill schools (one suggestion was on how to make quilt labels including screenprinting, embroidery, etc.)
  • Charity/Swap/Challenge - this month Emily coordinated creating blocks for the Quilts for Quebec project (houses). 

  • March challenge will be to create something using the Pantone color of the year (Greenery). Emily says there may be a prize!

  •  Member spotlight - the group discussed whether we wanted to make changes to this. It was a concenus to keep it with 5-6 people and one inspiration.  Tonight we had a discussion on how people organize their quilting rooms, fabric, supplies.
  • Charity quilts - we discussed that for this new year we are adding Ozone House.  The size requirement is a little different as they support teens so would like twin size quilts.  We also can continue to make quilts for the V.A. and Mott - those are 3'x4' in size.
  • Skill school - Maggie presented how to make cute cathedral window pin cushions. Tutorial here: http://www.gogokim.com/2011/12/cathedral-window-pin-cushion-tutorial.html?m=1
  • Fresh Quilting TV Show - airs on Feb. 23 PBS - Brenda & Rossie are two of our local talent featured on the show
 
Features:
  • Library report (let Kim know if you want her to bring books to the meeting) 
  • Round Robin is starting back up again. Remember to bring your projects.  If you can't make it to the meeting, you can drop off your month's work at Pink Castle

Monday, February 6, 2017

January 25, 2017 Minutes

Old Business
  • Email sent from the Board to MQG seemed to have been received favorably. They would like to teleconference with the board to hear and discuss our concerns. Members should let Amy D know if there things she should bring up to them either at that meeting or when she goes to the leadership meeting at QuiltCon.
  • Quilt Show preparations are in progress. Everyone who submitted a quilt has been accepted. Quilts will be hung February 26 from 12:00-2:00. Debbie is still trying to get information on how quilts will be hung and hanging sleeve requirements. She will email participants with details. Debbie will be at QuiltCon so there will need to be assistance from other guild members to coordinate. The Show is March 3 (Friday) through April 1.  There will be a reception we will need to cover and provide refreshments for March 3 from 5-7pm (Ypsilanti's First Friday event). The gallery is open Thurs/Fri 3-8pm and Sun 1:30-4.  We will need volunteers to staff.
  • Retreat at Hankerd Inn was last weekend. There were 16 attendees. Feedback was not as positive as has been previously so we may want to reconsider using this venue (no ability for someone to opt out of the food with lower payment, facility did not seem as clean as in the past, there were at least 2 reports of vermin (squirrels? or other?) in the ceilings.
  • Charity quilts from the past (2014-15)
    • the Board announced that we have altered our previous decision to sell the 3 quilts in question on eBay. Instead we will be donating 2 for use to Ozone House and 1 to Grilling for the Hungry to auction. These are the same recipients as we'd decided before, just getting the guild out of the process of having to sell them.
    • A recommendation was made to potentially show these at the Quilt Show.  Debbie will see if there is space.
  • Sew-Ins - 
    • dates have been set for the year. We tried to set up about 1/2 of them on Saturdays and 1/2 on Sundays although we weren't able to get an even flip-flop per month based on availability.  Dates are:  Feb 19, Mar 12, Apr 8, May 6, Jun 3, Jul 16, Aug 6, Sep 10, Oct 7, Nov 4, Dec 3.  
    • Note that any of these dates may be re-purposed for teaching events.
    • Based on majority of members attending, the Board has decided to keep with charging $15 to cover food.  A reminder was given to the guild that were we to pay the rent on the space, the cost would be $90-125 so members should consider that a benefit of their membership.
  • Teaching events -
    • Kathy is still looking into the antique/vintage sewing machine repair class although it has gotten trickier to schedule with our space now that we've realized it is a two day class. More to come...
New Business
  • Summer Retreat
    • Creative Passions, July 22
    • Smaller building, will hold 16 members
    • Discussion was held as to whether we want to consider dates later in the year for next year's retreat. A consensus of members in attendance felt last September/early October would be better
    • Cost: $150 per person (+$30 for Thursday)
  • Small thank you flowers were given to last year's guild chairs and departing officer (Karen [charity],  Kim [library], Emily [swaps], Amanda [retreats], Giedra [programs].
  • Bylaws
    • Annual Bylaw review was held by making it a Bylaw Bingo game with donated prizes for all participants
    • Kathy will be posting suggested revisions for the membership to review and vote on.
  •  Elections were held as follows:
    • President - Amy Diebold
    • Vice-President, Programs - Maggie Wilkin
    • Vice-President, Membership - Jackie Mills
    • Treasurer - Amy Stevenson
    • Secretary/Webmaster - Kathy Koch
  •  Board and Committee Reports:
    •  Amy S. presented a Treasurer's report to the membership.  
      • It was noted that we submitted a membership of 55 to MQG for annual dues.
      • We have maintained a balance of approximately $4K in the bank.  Discussion was held on what the membership wanted to do with the money:
        • teachers
        • paying for or supplementing food at retreats 
    • Charity quilts
      • Last year we had several challenges including a charm pack challenge
      • Donated quilts to the PULSE effort in Florida
      • Donated 3'x4' quilts to Motts and the V.A. hospitals
      • For next year some of the ideas include donating directly to Ozone House (they would like twin size since they cater to teens)
      • Brenda has agree to embroider labels to go on donated quilts (someone also suggested we see if Rossie has the screenprint used in past years)
      • Since Maggie was elected VP, we asked for a volunteer to take this position and Jackie MacGregor volunteered.
  • Chair positions for 2017 are:
    • Swaps - Emily Schildhouse
    • Library - Kim Ulrich
    • Charity - Jackie MacGregor
    • Retreats - Amy Stevenson
    • Quilt Show - Debbie Grifka
Monthly Features
  • Library
  • Round Robin (not enough participants this month although others expressed interest - suggested we pick up next month)
  • Member Spotlights (Most Frustrating Make)
  • Show and Share

Thursday, December 29, 2016

December 21, 2016 Minutes

Old Business
  • Art Gallery Quilt Show - registration form went to members in email. Contact Debbie Grifka if you have questions.
  • Sewing Retreat at Hankerd Inn - retreat is full, however if you want to attend, it is possible that you could stay in one of outer buildings. Contact Amanda if you have questions.  Amy S. passed on the information that Amanda would like to give up the Retreat Chair position. Amy is willing to take it over since she ends up having to deal with payments, etc. anyway.
  • Vintage and Antique Sewing Machine class - Kathy discovered this is actually a 2-day class so the board will need to work on whether we can do this with our current location (cost and availability). Kim noted that if we did it Sept 30 and Oct 1 that would be one day in each month.  Current plans are for March. See November minutes for the responses to questions raised at the last meeting.
  • Next Sew-In will be January 7. Kathy will send registration email out.
New Business
  • Charity quilts - 
    • Karen held a drawing to reward those who participated in some way to our charity quilt offerings.  The winner was Kim U. (gift card to Pink Castle).  
    • Reminder that after the January meeting, Maggie will take over as Charity chair.
    • In 2016 we donated 9 quilts to the PULSE (Florida) effort, 6 to Mott's and 4 to the VA. 
  • Our MQG dues have been paid for 2017. We came in right at the cut off before the higher rate.
 The rest of the meeting included sharing our favorite "make" (did not need to be quilt related), show and share, our Yankee ornament swap, and holiday party.

Reminder that our January meeting will be elections and bylaw review.  For those who are on FB, respondents to the "Bylaw Bingo" questions will be entered into a drawing.  If anyone wishes to run for an office, be on a committee or chair a committee, let any of the board members know.







Friday, December 2, 2016

November 30, 2106 Minutes

Old Business
  • This is the last meeting at Cavalry. Future meetings will be held at the Nonprofit Enterprise at Work (NEW) Center @ 1100 N. Main St. Ann Arbor.
  • Reminder that membership dues are past due for 2017.
  • MQG decision: the Board has decided to remain in MQG for 2017. We will revisit the decision in April following a letter that is being sent to National outlining our concerns.  Amy D. will also be attending the leadership breakfast at QuiltCon and she will see if there are positive changes in the works.
  • We had 2 sew-ins at the NEW center.  One was in the larger room and one in the smaller.  Both worked well although obviously we can't have as many participants in the smaller room (10-12 in larger, 7 max in smaller). 
  • Art Gallery Quilt Show - Debbie Grifka has been planning for the Quilt Show in March (entire month). She will be sending out guidelines and more information shortly.  There will be a $10 per quilt administration fee. She noted that the Gallery does publicity and holds a reception on the first Friday of the month.  We also can hold our own reception and/or publicity.  Deadline for quilts is January 11 - they do not need to be ones you've made new for this event.  Also, she reminded members that you can offer your quilts for sale if desired and the gallery gets a 15% commission.
 New Business
  •  December meeting is our holiday party. If you like, you may bring cookies or a savory to share. The Board will also be providing some fruit/veggie-type offering.  Also, please bring your FAVORITE MAKE to show. We plan on gathering in a circle and just showing off the item and saying our name to help us get to know each other better.  Your item does not need to be a quilt.
  • Sewing Retreat at Hankerd Inn - we have the minimum attendees (currently 15).  Cost is $145 for Friday through Sunday, $180 if you also want to come early on Thursday (currently only 1 or 2 have said they want to come early).  If we have early arrivers, you can arrive anytime on Friday.  Question was asked if someone could opt out of the meal plan (and pay less) - Amanda will check.
  • Kathy presented a proposed one day retreat at NEW to learn how to maintain and restore vintage and antique machines. The vendor (Sew Purty) is out of Kentucky and he has offered to give us his lower price of $250 per person. It looks like we have enough interest to probably fill the class (maximum of 11 attendees).  If we hold it at NEW we can probably do it in conjunction with the normal sew-in.  NOTE: It looks like this is a 2-day class so we may need to get some more information or figure how to make that work with our Center space. 
    Questions were raised [here are the answers Kathy found out after the meeting]:
    • Will March work for the workshop >  We have a workshop in Warrenton, MO on the weekend of the 24th-25th but otherwise March is open  
    • How old is old > I think most people consider vintage as being pre-plastic, but lots of people consider the Singer 401, 403, 501 "vintage" and they have a plastic gear in them. Some consider the machines from the 70's vintage and they are loaded with plastic. Personally I don't care myself. Anything someone wants to clean and shine and try to get running is ok with me. Plastic cleans just like paint (usually without the danger of damaging it) and the bright parts polish just the same (most of the time easier).
    • Can I bring my serger to repair > Sergers are fine as long as they keep one thing in mind; I service and repair the ones my wife and her cousin use but that pretty much sums up my experience with them. I've not worked on them extensively but I will be glad to tackle one. If someone does bring one though, I'd like it known that I can't leave the rest of the group waiting on me while I spend a great deal of time with one. If there is something that needs extensive time spent on it, I always am available to stay late on both days to deal with those kind of issues but after the others have left, so as not to take away from their time. I will do my best to help though should someone bring one and, as I said concerning the plastic sewing machines, they clean and polish just as well as a painted machine.
    • My machine is in cabinet and I don't think it will come out or does he have instructions on how to get it out > Machines in cabinets are welcome, and if they need assistance removing the machine from the cabinet so they can bring the head only I will try to help out with that too. I would just need that person to contact me and I'll need to know if it is a wiring issue that is preventing them from removing it or just not sure how to get the machine loose. I may need a picture too, but whatever the issue I will talk them through getting it out.
    • Can I attend without a machine >  As for someone coming and not have a machine, I have many antique and vintage machines that can serve as guinea pigs. My purpose for the workshop is that everyone leave with the knowledge and confidence needed to start cleaning and bringing back more machines than just the machine they have at the workshop. Although a person learns more by watching something done than reading about it, there is much more retained when a person gets their hands on. So yes, they are welcome to come without a machine but I will make sure there is an extra one they can take apart, clean, polish, and get working again 
    • Will he hold spots for our guild to fill for the class for a period of time so that we have priority > yes 
         
  • Charity quilts - reminder that next month we will have our drawing for members who have created or worked on charity quilts so be sure to put your name in the bowl.
  • Lynn Harris class - is on Saturday, we have 16 members signed up.  It will be from 10am-6pm. Kathy will send out a reminder email for supplies and the code for the building.
  • QuiltCon - 5 members are attending
  • 2017 Officers - reminder to let the board know if you are interested in running for office or filling a chair spot.  Karen announced that she will not be doing Charity Chair.  Maggie expressed interest.  Currently the rest of the current board is planning on running again, but no one is adverse to having others run as well.
 Features
  • In lieu of skill school, Giedra held a sharing session for tips or lessons learned.  Here are few of them: 
    • Sythropol really does work to remove or prevent dyes doing bad things to your quilt (keeps dyes in the water instead of reattaching to your quilt)
    • Retayne is another product that will seal dyes in
    • Orvis quilt soap can also be found at Tractor supply for washing sheep/horses - same soap, larger quantity, lower per unit price
    • Quilt Clapper can be used to press seams in place - It is a large wood block used after steaming the seam then weight it down with clapper to absorb the moisture for a crisper seam
    •  Universal adjustable sewing table (Sew AdjusTable) can be used with any sewing machine and is great for retreats
    • Machingers gloves work great for machine quilting
    • Silicon spray on machine bed also works well for machine quilting
    • Basting techniques: board basting, thread basting, 2x4 frame on chairs with tack gun, lots of pins
  • Library report
  • Swap/Challenge - members showed off what they made using a novelty print
    • NEXT MONTH: Ornament exchange/yankee swap
 Next meeting: December 21st, NEW Center, 6:30pm